December 5, 2016
Conference Call Committee Meeting
2:00 p.m. (CST)
Members: Marilyn Banta, Anne Blum, Celeste Crowe, Dana Warner, Martha Edde, Francie Cuffney, Tyra Hessel, Karthik, Ken Crawford, Bobby Knickerbocker, Rachel Dinsmore, Robby Bowen
1. Robby Bowen called meeting to order, 2:00 p.m., (CST).
2. President’s Report: Robby Bowen discussed the SAAHP meeting for 2019. Accommodations are scarce in Florida but checking on Richmond, VA or Memphis, TN. He asked for any suggestions. The board should have the decision by the 2017 meeting in Charleston. The region is stable in regards to membership and finances. The national office is moving to a new office in Champaign, IL. within the next two weeks. Karen Sands is no longer with national office and others are taking duties.
3. Treasurers’ report: Ken Crawford. Report was presented to board (attached). New Orleans meeting income and expenses are finalized. Robby Bowen discussed using some of the extra funding for travel grants. Board just needs to be careful to stay in the right income for financial reporting. Marilyn Banta made a motion to approve. Roberta Knickerbocker seconded. Approved by voice vote.
4. Website Report: Rachel Dinsmore – Updated website for regional meeting in May 2017 and added membership from Minneapolis national meeting. Minutes are up to date with the exception of Minneapolis (Anne will send). She is working on new logo for conference in 2017. Robby reported that people are reporting that their membership is not shown on website. Robby has updated list from national office so will send to Rachel to add to website.
5. National Board Report: Martha Edde -Updates have already been covered she has sponsors for name badges and bags for meeting.
6. Program Chair Report: Francie Cuffney, - Charleston- National office will handle online registration, print badges, and we will handle on-site registration. They are working on plenary speaker, possibly Dr. Damon “Black Man in a White Coat” and if can find a sponsor, sponsor will be able to buy book for nominal fee and provide to all members.
Proposals are coming in via googledoc so encourage people to turn in proposals.
National office is reaching out to advisory council and then to patron members for sponsorship to help out with funding. Various meals and other items to be sponsored was discussed.
Program should be ready by January and registration should be open by mid-January.
Hotel link is ready to go as soon as registration is open.
Marilyn Banta questioned whether board members would have time to handle a proposal with all other duties, yet Francie believes that there would not be a problem.
Board members should arrive on May 29th if at all possible to help set up (evening) and the board meeting will be early morning on May 30th. Registration will open at Noon on the 30th. Francie discussed hotel amenities as well as availability of overflow hotel if needed. Some rooms have two separate bathrooms so if sharing room, ask for double room with separate bathrooms. Hotel Marion is older hotel and rooms are small in comparison to newer hotels. Room rates are $189 with availability on Monday, May 27 through 3 days after meeting. Contract allows complementary room for every 50 rooms filled (for speakers hopefully).
Several areas may need help with Karen Ipers will work with local venue and potential charities. Health Professions Fair may need volunteers, Silent Auction (Anne Blum volunteered) and Marilyn Banta volunteered to help with Meet the Deans function. Karthik offered to help with logistics before the meeting. Anyone else who would like to volunteer to help please contact Francie Cuffney.
7. Travel grants: Robby Bowen discussed the $4,000 given in travel grants for the national meeting in Minneapolis and Ken reported that SAAHP gave $3,500 in travel grants for the New Orleans SAAHP meeting. Hotel and travel would be included in the travel grant for the registration fee is bypassed. Marilyn Banta made the motion to set aside $6,000 for travel for 10 people at $600. Karthik seconded and motion was approved by voice vote.
8. 2019 National Meeting Report: Celeste Crow reported on the upcoming national meeting in Washington D.C. The Theme will be “Capitalizing on Health Professions Advising: A Monumental Job”. The committee is working on potential speakers.
9. Membership: Robby Bowen reported that new membership rates were down in November yet Tesha White indicated the rate should go up when registration for regional meeting opens in January.
10. Old Business: Robby Bowen discussed the creation of a SAAHP Service Award which was approved in Minneapolis. Bobbi Knickerbocker agreed to be chair for this award in Charleston. Discussion ensued whether to name the award after a distinguished member or leave the award as the SAAHP Service Award. Suggestions were made on a cash award. Bobbie Knickerbocker made a motion to set up a $500 cash award to go with the SAAHP Service Award. Tyra Hessel seconded the motion and the motion carried with a voice vote. Tesha White will help with sending of award announcement.
11. New Business: Robby Bowen reported the creation of Regional Standing Committee on Diversity and Inclusion (SDI). Robby discussed the idea of a new committee and members from our region that are on the national board would be members. Members would be on the committee for two years. Bobbi Knickerbocker has a draft of the mission, goals , and establishment of the committee for SAAHP (similar to other regional committees). Francie Cuffney suggested giving board members more information on the committee. Francie moved and Ken seconded. Motion approved. Karthik expressed interest on serving on the committee. Bobbi will begin formation of committee and present a formal framework in March. Another meeting will be called to vote on the committee formation in March.
12. Call For Announcements: Robby Bowen called for any announcements. None noted.
13. Adjournment: Tyra Hessel made a motion to adjourn the meeting with Anne Blum seconding the motion. The motion carried by voice vote and the meeting adjourned at 3:10 p.m. (CST).